Institute for Healthy Living
In This Section
We focus on YOUR health and how WE can help make it better.
The Institute for Healthy Living at Indiana Regional Medical Center was developed to address community health and wellness issues, to promote healthy living, and to educate those we serve.
Our goal is to provide programs that help people of all ages to adopt a healthier lifestyle and reduce their risk for chronic diseases.
The Institute includes representation from family and prenatal education, the diabetes program, the Joint Center, Herbert L. Hanna Centers for Oncology Care, Center for Cardiac & Vascular Care, women’s health, and food and nutrition services. We are also the home of the Spirit of Women.
A complete listing of educational programs is published in the Indiana Gazette on the 1st and 15th of each month or in the Blairsville Dispatch on the 1st and 3rd Friday of each month. Monthly calendars are available in the Medical Center’s lobby and the mobile unit sites.
Among the programs we offer are:
- Healthy Moves Adult Fitness
- Strong Women Healthy Hearts
- Tai Chi
- Cancer Wellness
Highmark Health Education Classes
We have also partnered with Highmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield to offer Highmark Health Education classes. There is no fee for Highmark members to participate in these programs (*A Drop 10 in 10 material fee does apply for all participants). There is a nominal fee for non-Highmark members to participate.
These classes include:
- Daily Steps to Less Stress—A 6-week lifestyle improvement program designed to identify and reduce stressors through learned relaxation techniques.
- H.O.P.E.—A 4-week program that focuses on healthy choices to prevent or manage osteoporosis. It includes an overview of osteoporosis, nutritional education and cooking demonstrations, strength training exercises, medication options and stress management.
- The Spectrum—A 6-week program based on the research of Dr. Dean Ornish. It’s for individuals and their family members who want to prevent disease, reduce the risk for developing chronic conditions, or learn lifestyle changes that can help manage diabetes, hypertension, heart disease and cancer.
- Eat Well For Life—A 4-week program promoting wellness and long-term weight management through balanced nutrition.
- Drop 10 in 10—This innovative weight management program shows you how to add healthy balance to your life with the power of ten. Get our exclusive Drop 10 in 10 toolkit that includes all of the tools you need to make real changes for real results.
- Personal Nutrition Coaching—A registered dietician is available for individuals specifically seeking nutrition counseling related to weight management, heart health and diabetes. *Available to Gateway Medicaid subscribers, as well.
For more information or to register for a class, call the Institute for Healthy Living at 724.357.8088.